Work Out at Home – The 4 Best Moves
There’s loads of reasons you may want to work out at home. If you’re just getting started with fitness, you may be a little shy about entering into the gym world with huge guys pumping iron and people going for 30 minute runs on the treadmill. You might not have enough time in your day to make it to a gym, but you still want to make fitness a part of your schedule. A lot of online or app-based workouts contain exercises that require equipment, but Fitmo’s here to provide you with 4 killer moves that require absolutely nothing (apart from yourself)!
Supermans are aptly named, as the position you’ll eventually get into looks like you’re flying into action. This is one of the best exercises to strengthen your upper and lower back, making it great a preventing and alleviating back pain. Your glutes and hamstrings are also put to work – hello Kim K booty!
- Lie on your stomach, extending your arms and keeping your legs together.
- Engaging your back muscles, raise your legs and torso off the ground, reaching your arms in front of you.
- Hold the position, lower back to the floor, then repeat.
The star of the dreaded plank challenge – tried (and failed!) at the Fitmo office! Don’t worry, you don’t need to complete a 5 minute plank to gain the benefits of this move – perfect abs, here we come! This move will not only work your core muscles, but your back and shoulder muscles too, making it great for achieving a toned and lean upper body.
- Get into a press-up position, but with your weight resting on your forearms instead of your hands.
- Engage your core to keep your body straight.
- Hold the position.
- For an extra challenge, try a Body Saw. Start in a plank, then rock your body forwards and backwards, always keeping your back straight. This dynamic move will bring your calves into the workout.
Squats are often a given in any great workout. They work your back and legs hard, as well as being a great fat burning move. As the saying goes, never skip leg day! Get the technique of a squat down and you have an amazing leg move you can do pretty much anywhere. To take it to the next level, incorporate weights into the movement.
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width.
- Keep your back straight and reach your arms out parallel to the floor.
- Lower your body down by bending your knees.
- Keep your back straight, and try to focus on keeping your knees in line with your toes.
- Hold this position, then rise to standing. Repeat.
Although this move engages most of your muscles, it’s specifically great for your arms. As your bodyweight is held up by your arms throughout, your biceps and triceps get a full workout. It also works the shoulders and pecs, making this a strength move you should definitely have in your arsenal!
- Start in a standing position, then bend at the waist and place your hands on the floor.
- Walk forwards using your hands, ending up in a high plank.
- Walk your hands backwards, then stand up to your original position. Repeat.
- To add an extra element, do a push up when you reach the plank position.