Do you eat on the run? Do you eat in the car? How about in front of the TV in the evening? Do you wait to eat until you are famished and then “wolf” down your food, but are still hungry- until 30 minutes later when you feel like a stuffed turkey? I grew up in a family who was always on the move. We rarely sat down at a table, and we always were told “hurry up and eat your food, we have to go!” Many of my family members had digestion issues and struggled with being overweight. If you’re having trouble losing weight, these mindful eating tips will help you get on track.
- Remove all distractions- Enjoy your meal at the table instead of in front of the TV. It is much easier to overeat when we are distracted from our body’s signals of feeling satisfied. Try eating in silence.
- Practice gratitude- Take a moment to give thanks for your meal. There are many who do not have the choices we have. Don’t forget to express gratitude for the farmers who work tirelessly to help provide healthy choices!
- Eat with your senses- Notice the colours of your food. Can you distinguish any specific smells? What does the texture feel like on your tongue? Does it have a smooth or rough texture? What is the temperature? Cold or hot? Is the taste subtle, savoury, sweet?
- Chew more slowly- How many times do you chew each bite? Have you ever noticed? Chewing more slowly and more thoroughly not only aids in the digestion of our food, but also allows time for the brain to send signals that you are full.
- Try a different method- Challenge the way you eat by using your non-dominant hand or even using chopsticks! Switching things up will help make you more aware of how much you are eating and give you more time to savour the meal!
- Put down your fork- Give yourself time to really be present with each bite. This is tough to accomplish if you are loading your fork with the next bite before you are finished with the one in your mouth. Put your fork down in between bites and don’t pick it up until you have swallowed.
Mindfulness offers many benefits in all areas of our lives. Try one or several of these mindful eating tips to practice mindfulness and make your meals a more enjoyable and healthier experience!
By Fitmo Coach Carol Keller
Do you look in the mirror and say “Who Am I?” Do you want to feel younger, confident, & have more energy? As a woman over 40, I understand the struggles that woman our age go through. I’ve been a diet and exercise coach for over 10 years and I want to help you get YOUR sexy back & put that confidence back in your strut!