Here are holistic health winter skin care tips… winter months tend to wreak havoc on our skin due to the drop in humidity levels. The dry air zaps the moisture from our skin leaving us with itchy, flaky, even cracked skin. Here are a few conditioning tips to help your skin stay healthy through the coldest season!
- Eat more avocados- they are rich in healthy fats and vitamin E- which is good for your skin.
- Work from the inside out by drinking more water for overall good health.
- Apply a layer of fresh aloe vera gel to areas of dry skin and let it sit for 10 min. Then rinse it off with warm water. For best results do this twice a day.
- Add one cup of plain oatmeal to your bath water.
- Use an oatmeal facial- mash 1 ripe banana with one cup of ground oatmeal and apply it to your face or other areas of dry skin. Leave on 10-15 min and rinse with cold water. Try this once a week for best results.
- Apply coconut oil to your body after your bath or shower while your skin is still warm.
- Try an oil-based moisturizer rather than one that is water based. The oil will act as a protective barrier to retain the moisture.
- Protect your hands from harsh winter weather by wearing gloves.
- Use a humidifier to get more moisture in the air.
- Make a massage oil of 2T of olive oil and 2 drops of lavender oil and gently rub into the dry areas of your skin.
- Make a facial mask of 2T of sour cream and enough flour to make a paste. The lactic acid in the sour cream acts as an exfoliate to remove the dead skin cells and moisturize your skin.
- Use a gentle scrub of 3T of sugar mixed with ¼ cup of yogurt and 1T of honey. Gently massage the concoction on your face in circular motions and leave it on for 5 min then rinse with cold water.
- Be sure to get enough omega-3 fats in your daily diet. Omega-3 fats help prevent dehydration in your cells. Some examples are walnuts, flax seed, fish, olive oil, and/or winter squash.
By Fitmo Lifestyle Coach Carol Keller. Do you look in the mirror and say “Who Am I?” Do you want to feel younger, confident, & have more energy? As a woman over 40, Carol understands the struggles that woman her age go through. Carol has been a diet and exercise coach for over 10 years and she wants you help you get YOUR sexy back & put that confidence back in your strut!