Guys, Practising Yoga Makes You Sexier
When some men think of yoga they think of a non-masculine, incense-burning group of ladies getting into positions they feel men just are not equipped to replicate. My own husband used to be one of those men. When we first met he came to a yoga class I was teaching. He could barely touch his toes because his hamstrings and back were so tight. He actually said “men aren’t made for this!”. He lifted weights regularly and often pulled his back out doing so. Oh buddy….was he a challenge! But he was not alone in his misconceptions of yoga. That was 7 years ago.
Today we are seeing an awakening of the male population regarding the benefits of yoga. Many male athletes have embraced a regular practice and one athlete has even created “Broga”- demonstrating the strength and flexibility benefits of yoga in a no-nonsense format. Because guys, practising yoga makes you sexier…
Did you know yoga was created by men and practiced by men originally? Warriors used yoga to prepare for battle by strengthening themselves both physically and mentally. That’s why men that undergo yoga teacher training have no need to feel like less of a man because they practice yoga. Either way, men that practice yoga are unlikely to be insecure enough to feel that way about their passion. Focus on the benefits you will gain from your practice and less about what your buddies will think. You will feel awkward at first. You may think like my husband did and say “you want me to do whaaaat?” You may be the only dude in the class. However, you will learn that practicing yoga is very internal. Everyone is not thinking you are the “creepy guy” in class, they are focused on their own internal evolution. Come to class with a sense of humor and a lot of patience and you will do just fine. Here are just a few benefits you may experience:
- Improved flexibility- which will help with injury prevention when you are lifting weights, or even bending over to tie your shoes
- Increased strength- you will be training your muscles in new ways. Don’t discount the challenge of using your own body weight
- Stress reduction- learning to “let go” and “breathe” will carry over into your life off the mat with enough practice
- Improved productivity at work- a regular yoga practice can help improve your focus and memory retention. It can lower stress and give you more clarity for the daily challenges at work!
- Improved sex life- I thought that may grab your attention! In addition to the benefits of flexibility, yoga increases blood flow, boosts stamina, and creates a better body awareness to “control” your energy- which can transform your sex life! Enough said?
No matter what your age or fitness level, yoga is for every BODY. Try several classes with different instructors and you will find one that fits your needs and personality. Look for a class designed for the top benefit you are seeking. The following are a few different styles of yoga, and from these there are many variations.
Hatha- good for beginners, slower paced, focuses a lot on breathing and relaxation.
Astanga or Power Yoga- some experience with yoga poses is best in this type of format. The pace is a flow moving from one pose to the next. In Power Yoga you will not typically experience any of the spiritual aspects, but rather more emphasis is on the physicality of yoga.
Yin- is wonderful for chill-axing! Most of the poses are performed in a seated or lying position and the class format is designed to bring about a sense of calm by holding deep stretches for up to five minutes.
By Fitmo Coach Carol Keller. Do you look in the mirror and say “Who Am I?” Do you want to feel younger, confident, & have more energy? As a woman over 40, Carol understands the struggles that woman her age go through. Carol has been a diet and exercise coach for over 10 years and she wants you help you get YOUR sexy back & put that confidence back in your strut!