It’s something we all promise ourselves – “this year i’ll have the perfect body before swimsuit weather!”. Sadly, it’s a promise a lot of us don’t end up keeping. We’ve compiled some of the best tips that will ensure that this year you’ll be ready to throw on your swimsuit, lather on the sunscreen and catch some rays!
You are what you eat
- You probably already know that eating enough protein is important if you’re trying to muscle up. Did you know it can also aid fat loss? Spreading your protein across all of your daily meals allows you to shed the pounds whilst ensuring your lean muscle mass sticks around.
- If you’re really trying to trim down, cut around 500 calories off your daily amount. Don’t skimp on the good stuff – this calorie reduction just means there’s no room for sugary, fatty things to be in your diet anymore!
- Make sure that as well as protein, you’re eating healthy fats and complex carbs. Fats are required in your diet, even if you’re trying to lose weight – just go for the heart-healthy ones! Opt for more avocados and try snacking on nuts. As for complex carbs, start the day off with granola to keep you feeling full and less likely to snack, then up your portion of veggies at dinner time.
- Try adopting a ‘grazing’ style diet. Instead of 3 big meals a day, try 5 or 6 smaller ones. This’ll kick your metabolism into high gear, with the added benefit of keeping you feeling satisfied – no more constant snacking on junk food!
Beat the bloat
- Contrary to what you might’ve heard, drinking lots of water doesn’t necessarily mean stomach swelling! Dehydration can actually cause bloating and puffy skin due to water retention under the skin’s surface.
- Cut out excess salt from your diet to stop all that nasty fluid retention. Cutting out the junky processed foods is a good start! If you’re really serious about it, up your intake of potassium-rich foods, which will balance out your normal sodium intake. Try leafy greens, avocados or bananas.
- Slow down when you’re eating! Gulping down your food quickly causes you to also ingest lots of air, which not only makes you gassy but can also increase any bloating you might already have.
- Finally, if you find you get bloated no matter what you eat, increase your fibre intake. Fibre-rich foods help everything go smoothly through your digestive system, decreasing your risk of ballooning up.
Tailor your workouts
- If you’re trying to shift fat you accumulated during wintertime, go for cardio, cardio, cardio! You should be doing at least 30 minutes every day to shift any stubborn extra pounds. Try interval training to really get your heart pumping and the pounds shedding!
- Resistance training is great for toning your body. If you find the average resistance workout boring, opt for circuit training – it’s basically the HIIT of resistance!
- Weight training is important too, but don’t overdo it – you don’t want to injure yourself. Bodyweight training is a great way to train your core, and it doesn’t have to be too intense – you should aim for 2 times a week or more.
- Don’t just focus on your six-pack. While everyone might see the perfect six pack as the epitome of a beach body, don’t neglect other muscles that tie into your whole body too. For men especially, bulking out your upper back muscles is important, as this will make your waist look trimmer. Another oft-forgotten set of muscles are the ones in your lower stomach – it’s a stubborn area as this is where your body stores excess fat, but with enough discipline, you can tone it up!
- Work exercise into your day-to-day life. If you live near a beach (jealous!), take the workout there with you. Play volleyball, go body boarding, take a run on the sand. Cut your time lazing around in the sun and convert this time into exercising, and you’ll be seeing results in no time!
Do you think we’ve missed any important beach body tips out? If so, let us know in the comments!