Essential Runner Strength Exercises for Stronger, Faster Runs
Are you a runner who wants to sprint faster? Run longer distances? Or experience a more powerful run? Then be sure to add these lower body exercises to your training schedule to build a stronger booty! A well trained derrière is more than just sexy, it is functional too! Add these essential runner strength exercises to your routine.
Why your booty matters
Your gluteus maximus, is the largest muscle in your body. It can produce a lot of power that can translate to a stronger and more enjoyable run. Your “glutes”, more commonly called, also support your back and ensure proper form when you are performing squats and lunges. They work with your hamstrings for hip extension and forward propulsion. They help stabilize the pelvis when walking, running, or climbing. A strong fanny can also improve your posture and help alleviate hip and knee pain, and help to prevent common injuries such as shin splints, runner’s knee, and IT Band issues. If you have a weak gluteus maximus, then other muscles have to compensate and this can create all kinds of problems.
The exercises you need to do
Add the following exercises to create a powerful booty that will not only look great, but will improve your run too!
- Bulgarian Split Squat: Place the top of your left foot on a bench/plyo box and step your right foot out far enough away from the bench that when you lower your pelvis toward the ground your knee tracks right over your ankle. Lower down and straighten your right leg to rise back up. This is one rep. Complete 10-12 reps before switching legs. Complete 3 sets on each leg. *You can make this more intense by holding 8lb dumbbells in each hand while doing the exercises.
- Single Leg Deadlift: Stand on your left leg with your right leg behind you. Square your hips and shoulders forward. Keeping your back straight, hinge forward from the hips and reach your hands toward the ground. Return to standing, and this completes one rep. To make it more challenging you can hold the 8lb dumbbells in this exercise too! Complete 10 -12 reps on each leg for 3 sets.
- Goblet Squat: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold an 8lb dumbbell at your chest with both hands. Push your butt back and bend your knees to squat down as far as you can comfortably, while keeping your knees in line with your toes. Push back up to standing to complete one rep. Complete 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
- Glute Bridge: Lie on the floor on your back. Place your feet flat on the floor close to your butt. Place the dumbbells far up on the thighs, one in each crease of the hip. Press your hips in the air until they are fully extended, then slowly lower them down. This is one rep. Complete 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
- Lateral Band Walks or “The Walk Of Shame!”: Place a hip band or Superband just below the knees. hinge forward from the hips and push the butt back to come into a 1/2 squat position. Clasp your hands together in front of your chest. Take 5 small steps to the right, leading with your heels and bringing the trailing foot in slowly and firmly as to not slam into the leading foot. Reverse direction for 5 steps. This is one set. Complete 3-5 sets.
Always be sure to warm up pre-workout and stretch post-workout for best results and to prevent injury. These exercises are intended for healthy, injury-free adults and should be performed with proper form in addition to other lower body muscles for a well-balanced training session. It is always best to work with a professional trainer or running coach for optimal benefits.
By Fitmo Coach Carol Keller
Do you look in the mirror and say “Who Am I?” Do you want to feel younger, confident, & have more energy? As a woman over 40, I understand the struggles that woman our age go through. I’ve been a diet and exercise coach for over 10 years and I want to help you get YOUR sexy back & put that confidence back in your strut!